Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Factors That Affect Perception: Defense

 And finally, let's talk about the defensive bubbles of perception that protect us!



image credit: newscientist.com




All of us live in a “bubble” of our own making and we don’t easily let that bubble get burst!

Our natural defense mechanism rejects all the intrusive ideas and objects that threaten our world-view. This builds blind-spots in the perceptual process so that I “see” only what I want to see and negative sensory data does not upset or disturb my fundamental beliefs and values.

This automatic, instinctive resistance to any input that threatens to upset, alter, damage or destroy my conception of life and humanity acts as a knee-jerk reaction that repels any attacks.

Thus, my mental defense mechanism protects me from emotional distress. I can keep all threats to my self-esteem at bay. I can reject any unwanted thoughts and impulses. And I can ensure that attitudes I hold dear and inviolate are kept pure, untouched, unblemished.

In other words, I can live on with my bubble intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Rumour Mill: how and why stories change when they go from person to person

image credit: www.wired-and-inspired.ca I tell you a story. You repeat it to someone else, who tells it to someone else and so on. In just a...