Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Factors that Distort Perception: Selection

 Perceptual selectivity is one of the most common factors that distort perception. It is our ability to focus on some sensory inputs while we disregard others. I will, for instance, tend to focus on stimuli that satisfy my needs and are consistent with my attitudes, values and personality.


image credit: streetfoodkolkata.com

Thus, as I've described in another post on this blog, if I'm really hungry on my walk down the street, I will notice the jhalmuri-wallah, the samosas being fried in the corner shop, the puchchka vendor and in the process, I would perhaps miss the DON'T WALK signal being flashed as I cross the street.

Of course, some stimuli have the ability to draw attention to themselves whether or not I want to select them. A really bad smell will make itself registered whether I want to select it, as will a really loud bang
image credit: werakak.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Rumour Mill: how and why stories change when they go from person to person

image credit: www.wired-and-inspired.ca I tell you a story. You repeat it to someone else, who tells it to someone else and so on. In just a...